The Port of Portland is a bulk port providing both import and export services for a range of commodities including forestry products, mineral sands, aluminium products, grains, fertilisers and livestock. Â Safe harbour and operating facilities for the fishing industry are also provided.
The Board of Directors and the Executive Team have a strong commitment to ensuring continual improvement of the Port of Portland’s environmental management performance. This commitment comes from the understanding that quality environmental management is integral to best work practices and successful business performance.
To protect and improve the state of the environment the Port of Portland will:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulations and all other requirements to which the port subscribes, including meeting obligations under the Port Management Act 1995 and the Port of Portland Safety and Environment Management Plan.
- Develop and maintain environmental policies and procedures in consultation with employees, contractors, customers, suppliers, lessees, port users, government service providers and the Portland community.
- Establish and pursue environmental objectives and targets that are designed to improve the environmental management performance of the port.
- Apply measures to prevent pollution of the environment (e.g. oil spills, contamination of marine ecosystems and fugitive dust and noise emissions).
- Ensure environmental awareness and competence for Port of Portland employees, contractors and directors.
- Encourage environmental awareness and responsibility for all personnel operating on the Port’s land through the establishment of port user operating licences, contracts, inductions and regular communication through the Port User Group (PUG).
- Maintain a certified environmental management system in accordance with the requirements of AS/NZS ISO 14001:2004.
Chief Executive Officer
6 January 2016
Safety & Environment Management Plan
A copy of the SEMP can be downloaded here.
Site Based Management Plan
A copy of the SBMP can be downloaded here.